Welcome to Sew Blog Saturday. Talking about everything in handbag sewing, and then some, is just so much fun. My sewing venture began when I was in 7th grade. I don’t remember, if I personally decided I wanted to take a sewing class, or if my mom suggested it. Whatever the case may be, I loved it. It was an all sewing class, and we had to make a pair of PJ bottoms and a quilt. Well, I did that plus two more quilts for my younger sisters, as Christmas presents that year. At the end of the school year, I actually won an award for that category. It was a surprise but so awesome!
Many, many years later, 2017, I realized that I wanted something of my own. Like, I couldn’t imagine working the rest of my life for “The Man.” Designing handbags wasn’t my first thought. I literally thought about making my own makeup, maybe being an influencer, being someone who takes old furniture, fixes it up, and then sells it! Then, I remembered that I knew how to sew (like basics, knew nothing about sewing handbags)! It was so funny because from the time I learned in 7th grade, all the way to 2017, I completely forgot that I had that skill. Nonetheless, I decided I would test the waters of handbag design. So, I took a few online courses, specifically on different styles of handbags, watched a lot of YouTube, and did a lot of googling.
Here I am, three years later, and I have my own business designing handbags! Now, I still work my day job, but my goal and plan is to be out of that and 100% self supporting, within the next few years. (Still gotta pay these bills, you know what I’m sayin’?) But, my point is, if you want to do something, then you literally just have to step out on faith, knowing that God will carry you, and do it! It will be hard! You will have days where you don’t want to do a damn thing! But then, those days where everything is just perfect and the creations, you have made, make you feel so good that all those bad days don’t even phase you.
Being able to create something of my own, like 100% my own, has been one of the best feelings I have had (besides my babygirl 😊). So, let me give you some listed tips, if you’re feeling a little scared, nervous, or stuck.
- God does not give us the spirit of fear. So don’t have any fear y’all.
- Just jump in. Stop thinking there will be a right time. When you wait for what you thought was the right time, something else may come up that stops you.
- Ask questions and ask for help. There is nothing more important than support. We all need it.
- Be willing to connect with others in your path or niche. No one will make it on their own.
- Be friendly and open. People like something who they can trust. It’s hard to trust you if we don’t know you.
- Tell your story. It will help you relate to others and vice versa.
- Put the time in. You will not get anywhere without putting in the work. And do not expect people to do it for you.
- Be original. We like to see YOU, not someone else.
- Always got back to why you started when you feel like quitting.
Okay y’all. This concludes today’s Sew Blog Saturday. Tell me about your dream and goals in the comments. I want to help you, even if all I can do is be encouragement. Don’t be afraid to spread your wings, because you will fly.
Photography by Kenton Kashoya